Who doesn’t love warm glass of sweet and spicy mulled wine to sip on over the holidays? We made a pot for our tenants using the recipe below. It is a very simple recipe so we urge you to give it a try to if you are hosting this Christmas!
- 2 orange
- 1 lemon
- 150 g caster sugar
- a couple of cinnamon sticks
- dash of nutmeg powder
- dash of vanilla extract
- 2-3 bottles of medium-bodied wine
- 3 star anise
- Peel the skin of the orange and lemon
- Put the sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat, squeeze whole orange juice inside, add the peel of lemon and orange
- Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and vanilla extract
- Add in half a bottle of red wine and let it simmer until sugar has completely dissolved into a thick syrup texture, this should take about 4-5 minutes in medium heat.
- Once the syrup is ready, turn the heat down to low and add in star anise and the rest of the wine. Gently heat the wine for 5 minutes and serve.
Source: A tweak from Jamie Oliver’s recipe here