Who doesn’t love warm glass of sweet and spicy mulled wine to sip on over the holidays? We made a pot for our tenants using the recipe below. It is a very simple recipe so we urge you to give it a try to if you are hosting this Christmas!
150 g caster sugar
a couple of cinnamon sticks
dash of nutmeg powder
dash of vanilla extract
2-3 bottles of medium-bodied wine
3 star anise
1) Peel the skin of the orange and lemon
2) Put the sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat, squeeze whole orange juice inside, add the peel of lemon and orange
3) Add cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and vanilla extract
4) Add in half a bottle of red wine and let it simmer until sugar has completely dissolved into a thick syrup texture, this should take about 4-5 minutes in medium heat.
5) Once the syrup is ready, turn the heat down to low and add in star anise and the rest of the wine. Gently heat the wine for 5 minutes and serve.
Source: A tweak from Jamie Oliver’s recipe here